Wednesday, 4 July 2007

Stray Dog

A friend came across a stray dog on the airfield today which apparently had been knocked over by a van. She and another lady tried to catch the dog but it just kept running off. She reported it to the RSPCA.

2 hours later we went back to the spot she last saw the stray Alsation and it was still there with its bit of string around its kneck. It saw our cars and started moving away from us. It then sat and watched us as Emma rang the RSPCA again. The poor thing was lame and it must have been cold due to the rain and cooling temperature. I called it and it just turned and ran further away from us then stopped and watched us again.

I rang the RSPCA when I got. Luckily they had it already logged on their system. Within 10 minutes an RSPCA officer rang me to say that he couldn't get out immediately but would be along later and I gave him more details on the location.

4 hours later : there is a dog boarding kennels just one field away from where the dog was and they had been trying to catch it all day! The RSPCA said they couldn't dart in case in ran onto the road, which no doubt it will do again later - dart or no dart. They said they would come out again tomorrow and put a cage out to entice it into! Fat chance I think. So poor thing has got to put up with its injuries and sit out in the rain. Surely they have some kind of plan in these situations. The airfield road is quite a fast stretch and if somebody comes round the bend at speed and sees the dog there - well, it doesn't bare thinking about.

I'll let you know what happens.

No comments: